THE PROS & CON'S OF THE MINIATURE PINSCHER by Lynn
Benton Knapp, Illusion Miniature
1. THEY ARE VERY DEVOTED AND LOVING FAMILY MEMBERS
2. They are a fairly "clean" breed that doesn't require much grooming
3. Small size, suits small home or RV for those who travel
4. Protective, good watch dog
5. Clever and energetic makes them playful and entertaining
6. Short clean coat good in warm climates but need coat in cooler weather
7. Generally healthy and long lived, need regular teeth cleaning
8. They make great bed buddies
9. They get along with other dogs & cats
10. All the good things can be bad in the wrong household
1. BECAUSE THEY ARE VERY DEVOTED TO THEIR FAMILY, THEY DON'T TEND TO LIKE OR
STRANGERS WELL, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS SO LONG AS THEY ARE WELL SOCIALIZED AS
2. Adventuresome so need fenced yard or to be on lead when outside yard,
athletic so can keep up to active family, needs supervision to prevent injury.
3. Must have firm but fair guidance
4. Big egos will take on anything so not wimpy "little dog" but need supervision
so they don't get hurt
by bigger dogs
5. Can't handle cold weather so need to potty on pee pad's when very cold or
snowy, short clean coat
good in warm climates but need coat in cooler weather
6. Must have firm but fair guidance
7. Tend to be hard to housebreak, please refer to #6
8. Require a fence built to contain a flea, they can get out of anything
9. Often become "deaf" under many circumstances, such as while trying to attack
a big dog, chasing birds, barking at people walking by, etc, etc, etc... Please
refer to #6
10. Yes...They "ARE" barkers...and No, obedience training will "not" stop it
11. They tend to be "nippers", Please refer to #1 & #6
12. Because they are very intelligent dogs, most people consider them "stupid",
this is only because these little dogs have convinced these people they are in
an effort to get away with more things. In the bigger picture, they get bored
very easily with repetition, so they need things changed up on them once in
awhile to make them "think". They do have the attention span of a "gnat", so,
Please refer to #6
Because of all the "con's" in this breed, there are literally hundreds of them
put into rescue monthly. Yes, MONTHLY. This breed can be very hard to live with.
Many people think they must have one just because they are so "Cool" looking or
others want one because they either always wanted, or used to have, a Doberman
but either couldn't have a large dog or whatever. The fact is, they are
"nothing" like a Doberman. Another fact is they are not Miniature Dobermans. The
fact is, they are over 400 years older then the Doberman and they have "NO"
personality or "Temperament" of the Doberman, their only resemblance is the
Please take serious consideration of all the "cons" of the breed
prior to acquiring one. I urge you to do lots of research on the breed & the
breeder. Breeders that sell their PETS with full registration and not limited,
should NOT be considered to purchase from as they obviously are only breeding
for profit and are a major contributor to the mass amounts of Min Pins that end
up in rescue.
A TALE FOR A BREEDER
I love my little puppy, he makes my
house a home, he always is my best friend, I never feel alone. He makes me
smile, he makes me laugh, he fills my heart with love. Did some breeder
breed him? Was he sent from heaven above?
I've never been a breeder, or seen life
through their eyes. I hold my little puppy, just sit and criticize. I've
never know their anguish, I've never felt their pain, the caring of their charges, through snow or wind or rain. I've never waited all night long for
puppies to be born, the stress and trepidation when they're still not there
I've never felt the heartache of a little life in my hands, a darling little
puppy who weighs just a few grams!! Should you do this instead of that? Or
just pray to God? Alone you fight, and hope one day he'll grow into a dog,
bring joy to another being and make a house a home. You know it's all just
up to you, you fight this fight alone.
Formula, bottles, heating pads, you've
got to get this right. Two hourly feeds for this little mite throughout the
day and night.
In your heart you know it, you'll surely lose the fight to save this little
baby, but God willing, you just might save the little mite....
Day one he's in there fighting. You say
a silent prayer. Day two and three he's doing well, with lots of loving
Day four and five - he's still alive your hopes soar to the heavens! Day six
he slips away again, dies in your hands day seven.
You take this little angel and bury him
alone, with aching heart and burning tears, (and an exhausted groan).
You ask yourself, Why do this? Why suffer all the pain? But seeing the joy that
puppies bring - it really self explains! So, when you think of breeders and
label them with 'greed'. Think what they sometimes endure to fill another's need.
And when you buy a puppy, with dollars and cents you part. You only pay with
We pay with our hearts.
Death Is Nothing At
I have only slipped away
into the next room.
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way you used
Put no difference in your tone, wear no false air of solemnity or
Laugh as we always
laughed at the
little jokes we enjoyed together. Let my name be ever the household name
it ever was, let it be spoken without effect,
without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was: there
is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for
an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
"All is well."
Henry Scott Holland